Subject: Re: routing
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1997 23:18:15
On 9 Sep 1997, Matthias Scheler wrote:

# What is so bad about it? Why must ethernet be limited to broadcast mode?
# Was it burned into stone somewhere?
#
# There are no double IP addresses is this setup, no wrong routes,
# nothing.  Image the link between the local router and the NetBSD box to
# be a serial line with slip on it. What's bad about this setup now?
# Nothing! So what can be bad about replacing the slip line with an
# ethernet? Please explain!

	Nothing, when done properly, however, I don't quite get how you're
doing it in this setup.  If you use a normal point to point mask (/30)
then you're using four addresses that meet on the proper boundry.  I
suppose a /31 is possible, but doesn't make a lot of sense.  PPP
interfaces often will use a /32, but I've never been able to get a Cisco
to accept that for a netmask.

	Anyway, proxy-arp does seem to be the answer.

# > Just because Linux allows for *really bad* network design, you
# > shouldn't expect everything to.
#
# It's not only Linux which can handle this. The Cisco router wouldn't
# have a problem with that setup either.
#
# > I would either ask the Uni to do properly assign an address block,
#
# Not possible.
#
# > or use a NAT in there somewhere.
#
# NAT will break several services.
#
# --
# Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/
#

--
Taos Mountain TS         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>