Subject: Re: routing
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/1997 12:53:36

> On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 04:27:38AM -0400, maximum entropy wrote:
> > >     One feature of L*nux and some commercial routers, is that when
> > >adding a route, you can specify what interface should be used.
> >
> > The route command accepts a flag "-interface", where instead of
> > specifying a remote gateway to the destination, you specify the local
> > address of an interface which will be used to transmit to the directly
> > reachable destination.
> >
> > Does that already do what you want, or am I missing something?
>
> What if several interfaces have the same local address?  This is possible
> and works just fine with SLIP and PPP, for example.  It would be nice if
> you could specify the interface, not the local address in a situation
> like this.

Regardless if the interfaces have different addresses, the -interface
option assumes the destination is directly reachable.  Ideally you
would be able to specify a route that is via another router.  Thus
you could have an ISDN, and a 28.8k connection to the same remote
network, and specify that routes take certain interfaces.  Or, just
have multiple NICs into the same switch domain, one at 10, and one
at 100.  You want to make sure the routes get added to the 100Mbits
interface. (or whatever scenario you come up with)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.