Subject: Re: README: -current broken for a while
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1997 08:53:43
"J.T. Conklin" <jtc@NetBSD.ORG>  wrote:
 > Over the last few years NetBSD has lost a lot of the "fun" it once had
 > for me.  What was once a hobby has become a "job".  At times it is an
 > immensely satisfying job, at other times a hideously unpleasant job.
 > I think the reason for the latter is simply I don't have time to
 > accomplish all that I would like to do.  I just wish I had the
 > energy to put into this project that it deserves.

[rambling soap-box mode on]

My "opinion" on this is that the entity known as "core" needs to be
restructured or abolished because the members of "core" are either:

a) too tired to be effective anymore.
b) too overworked in their regular dayjobs to have time to care.
c) too little aware the ways of properly administering a volunteer
   project.
d) all of the above.

I don't have, nor should I offer, any ways to improve the situation because
the goals and issues surrounding them are mostly privvy to the present
members of core alone.  I only have my years of observation that I have
accumulated since before the inception of "NetBSD" and being personally
acquainted with pretty much everyone involved.  But I urge you, "core",
to try to solve this overall structural problem before the whole project
augers in.  I firmly believe that "NetBSD", as a product, is technically
superior (overall) to any of the other free unix's and is lacking only
administrative, organizational, and marketing structure.

I have in the past, and I will again, offer my help in whatever way
the project might feel I would be useful. But the impetus for change
*must* come from "core".