Subject: Re: Port performance comparison?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1997 18:47:15
Hauke Fath wrote:

| At 21:35 Uhr +0200 27.08.1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
| >On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Andrew Reilly wrote:
| >
| >> Would a 2nd hand Mac make a better or worse X terminal/Java
| >> station than, say a cheap 486 or Pentium PC?  How about
| >> amigas and ataris?
| >
| >Java, I don't know.
|
| Apart from performance issues: As Sun's JDK does not support m68k machines,
| your only option would be Kaffe, but they don't have support for
| NetBSD/m68k, either.

Not quite.

Kaffe is supported on NetBSD/m68k.  But, for some strange reason, the JIT
was not enabled when I built it, even though m68k JIT support appeared to
be present.  This is kaffe-0.9.1.

m68k boxes will not compare to high-end Intel systems running the same
technology.  However, an m68k running JIT will compare nicely to a P90
running interpreted.

As for X, m68k works very well.  I am using a Sun3/200 with 1152x900 cg2
frame buffer as an X terminal.  It's almost as good as at work, but a
helluva lot cheaper.