Subject: Re: DCE/DFS
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1997 00:42:04
> > That is, unusable for us Europeans?
>
>Well, unless there's a version that was either:
>
>	(a) developed outside the US, or
>
>	(b) there is an "approved for export" version that was developed
>	    within the US.

I'd just like to preface my remarks by saying that most of this is stuff
I've picked up from various sources, so take it with a grain of salt ...

- I believe that OSF has gotten an export license for some version of
  DCE (binary only, of course) with some limit on key length.  So that's
  an option, if you have deep pockets.

- There is a version of Kerberos 5 being developed outside of the US,
  but I'd rather not give more details until it gets actually released.

- It is unclear what the real impact of Judge Patel's decision is
  (check out http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,13745,00.html).
  Personally, I still wouldn't export crypto unless I had a bunch of
  lawyers, guns, and money on my side :-)

- The "publish a book" loophole is an option, but no one has done it
  yet.

- While the NOENCRYPTION stuff is the same thing that make the V4
  Bones release possible, there are two wrinkles: the law has changed
  since Bones, and you'd still have to put all of the crypto back
  to make the equivalant of eBones.

--Ken