Subject: Re: ftp(1) recursive ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1997 07:31:59
On Mon, Sep 01, 1997 at 11:21:39PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> The last thing I _really_ miss in out nice new enhanced ftp(1) is
> ability to automatically download directory structure from ftp server.
> Yes, I can download files if the same directory structure already exists
> on my system, but ftp doesn't make dir automatically otherwise.
> What I'm looking for is something like ncftp's ``get -R'' command.
> I thing it would be best implemented as some flag (say - makedirsifneeded ?).

I could have used this a few times as well.  You can get around this if the
ftp site supports creating tarballs on the fly, but our ftpd doesn't.

BTW, what is our ftpd supposed to do if "mdel .*" is issued in the client?
Someone managed to delete several important files with this command on one
of our NetBSD machines recently..

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri