Subject: Re: DCE/DFS
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/01/1997 22:38:22
>> > That is, unusable for us Europeans?

>>Well, unless there's a version that was either:
>>	(a) developed outside the US, or
>>	(b) there is an "approved for export" version that was developed
>>	    within the US.

>I'd just like to preface my remarks by saying that most of this is stuff
>I've picked up from various sources, so take it with a grain of salt ...
>- I believe that OSF has gotten an export license for some version of
>  DCE (binary only, of course) with some limit on key length.  So that's
>  an option, if you have deep pockets.

FWIW, I believe 40-bit encryption is exportable without any special
hoops to jump through.  Microsoft products that contain encryption are
exportable in their 40-bit verions, for example, while the 128-bit and
bigger products are US-only.

So it's possible that a weakly encrypted version might be exportable
without problems.

This is just information I've picked up while working on various
products.  I don't know any of this stuff authoritatively.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.