Subject: Re: Hung Reboot
To: None <tomthai@future.net>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/01/1997 16:23:02
>From: "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
>
>sync;sync;reboot causes the system to pass the sync phase but hang at
>reboot phase.

I have been seeing this happen intermittently on both a VAX and an
i386 system recently.  Sometimes it hangs immediately, sometimes just
after "Syncing disks..." sometimes after "Syncing disks...done".
Sometimes it makes it all the way.

I was seeing this a lot on the VAX over the past 2 weeks or so, and
suspected it was a port-specific problem.  It hasn't happened much (or
maybe at all?  I'm not sure) since I stopped netbooting the machine
and started booting it from local disk.

The i386 machine where I just started seeing this problem (after
upgrading to -current from 8/30) is a diskless machine.

>  Hypothesis: I need to installboot the 1.2G bootstrapping
>files?  If this is so, when I
># installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rsd0a
>installboot: open raw partition RW: Device busy
>
>Should I be in single user mode to do this?  The system seems to run fine
>(so far) with 1.0A bootstrapping codes.

I just upgraded my boot blocks on the server.  My guess is that you
couldn't open the raw partition because your system was at securelevel
1.  Try it from single-user mode.  I was able to installboot from
multi-user mode but I have "options INSECURE" in my kernel config.

Cheers,
entropy