Subject: IMPORTANT: /etc/rc.conf changes
To: NetBSD-current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1997 19:31:32
Heads up next time you update /etc/rc, /etc/rc.conf and friends.

I've just updated these files (rc.conf, rc, netstart, rc.local) to
use a two-variable scheme. Instead of disabling a program by setting
the flags to a special value, we now have a variable named after
the program or daemon that is set to YES or NO, and a *_flags
variable set to the default set of flags. This also enables rc to
print warnings if an enable/disable flag is not set, so that you
know you missed something in an update.

One other hand feature is that there is now a variable in rc.conf
called `rc_configured' which is set to NO by default. If this is
not set to YES, the system will complain and drop into single-user
mode.  This will avoid embarassing multi-user boots of unconfigured
systems. :-)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates