Subject: Re: Port performance comparison?
To: None <david@fundy.ca>
From: Andrew Reilly <andrew@zeta.org.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1997 15:26:47
On 27 Aug, David Maxwell wrote:
[ A question that seems silly on the face of it, but prompts
  me to ask one I've been wondering about for some time. ]

What is current Macintosh hardware (that can run NetBSD)
like, and do they make reasonable NetBSD platforms?

I did some driver level work on a Mac (plus) back in about
1987, and it seemed to me that the only interrupt in the box
was associated with the horizontal retrace on the video
controller, and everything was polled from there.  That
seemed a poor option for a real operating system, so I
assume they've changed the basic idea.  Is this the case?

Is there an X server for Mac graphics systems?

Would a 2nd hand Mac make a better or worse X terminal/Java
station than, say a cheap 486 or Pentium PC?  How about
amigas and ataris?

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."