Subject: Re: More verbose SCSI errors...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1997 16:40:24
mjacob@feral.com (Matthew Jacob) writes:

>I've been running around a while with a modified scsi_base.c &&
>st.c that decodes in a more readable human fashion SCSI sense
>data- Key as well as ASC/ASCQ and FPV data. This is all controlled
>by an option SCSIVERBOSE (since it adds strings to the kernel- not
>everyone will want it)..

On BSDI the driver logged the sense key and ASC/ASCQ in numeric form.
They also have a program that converts and ASC/ASCQ code
into the corresponding text.

This approach seems to be more general to me than having the kernel
spit out out the text messages.  But then, it is probably less confusing
for the users if the kernel does the translation.
--
Christoph Badura

Now available in print: Lion's Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code
			http://www.peer-to-peer.com/