Subject: Strange behavior from XFree86
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Winters <winters@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1997 09:09:26
We've been having some bizarre behavior from XFree86 here at NRL, but only
on our NetBSD boxen.  We've already checked with the XFree86 folks,
followed their suggestions, but to no avail.  Hopefully some other
NetBSD/XFree86 users out there have seen this same problem.

Here's what we are running:

XFree86 Version 3.3.1 / X Window System
Release Date: August 4 1997
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.2G
Configured drivers:
  S3: accelerated server for S3 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)
      newmmio, mmio_928, s3_generic

After X has started and a random period of time has passed (which can
range from 5 minutes to a few hours) keystrokes become delayed.  That is,
after typing a key, it will take an unusually long period of time before
it appears on the screen.  Usually about 30 seconds after this starts
happening, keyboard input is ignored altogether.  We are assuming it is
not due to userland apps, because even after restarting X, keyboard input
doesn't work.  The only fix for this is to reboot the system.

Even more weird things happen if you are running with virtual terminals,
but the original behavior (of the keystrokes being ignored) is the same.

Has anyone out there experienced this same problem, or have any
suggetions on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Chris