Subject: Re: ext2fs and byte ordering
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/1997 22:14:22
Manuel Bouyer (bouyer@rochebonne.ibp.fr) wrote:
: On Jul 5, Matthias Scheler wrote
: > 	Hi,
: >
: > does NetBSD's implementation of the ext2fs handle byte ordering properly?
:
: It will always use native endian.
:
: > AFAIK Linus decided that all ports have to use the i386 byte ordering
: > so that e.g. Linux-m68k has to do byte swapping.
:
: I didn't notice this in the linux sources (2.0.x kernel). Do you know when
: this was decided ? If this is a recent change, how is compatibility achieved ?
:
: However, this would't be a that much hard change, but I'd prefer to make
: it after 1.3 is out.

IMHO, bad idea. Yes, this should be in everywhere, although I cant
verify it myself. AFAIRemember, linux-m68k people were pretty upset
about it when the decision came, which was long before 2.0.x times.

Regards,
	-is