Subject: Re: MSDOSFS and newfs...
To: Ask Dr. Stupid <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/1997 13:56:18
According to Ask Dr. Stupid:

>I was a bit surprised when I typed 'newfs wd0h' and had it blissfully
>make a new filesystem right before my eyes.  Suddenly I had a gig of disk
>I didn't...have...um...awshit.

Ahhh that reminds me of my "awshit" I did a while ago - I managed to
ruin the root partition by mounting it -t msdos.  A while back I had
to convince NetBSD that my pure msdog partition was there by doing a
disklabel and then a mount.  I wrote a script that would do this for
me.  Things moved on and I changed the scsi id of my msdog partition
and put my NetBSD in it's place.  I did not update the script (doh!)
and one day I was moved to try and mount my dos partition, so I ran
the trusty script which failed.  Suddenly things were Not Working
Quite Right (tm).  I had just enough time to work out what I had done
before the machine went down in a screaming heap.  Fortunately I still
had a copy of the root partition on an ESDI drive, whacked that in,
did a newfs of the scsi drive and dumped all the stuff back in *whew*.

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P