Subject: MSDOSFS and newfs...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ask Dr. Stupid <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/1997 19:53:53
Hi there.

About three weeks ago, I had the unpleasant experience of NetBSD toasting
my MS-DOS partition on my box at work.

Well, I did have a hand (at least!) in this, so it's not "NetBSD's fault",
per se.

BUT it would be real nice if newfs would look at the partition type and
if it's not 4.2BSD, complain or at least ask if you _really_ wanted to
do that.

I could put this into a patch and send-pr it, if there are other interested
parties and not too much objection.  It was annoying, to say the least.

why:

I was a bit surprised when I typed 'newfs wd0h' and had it blissfully
make a new filesystem right before my eyes.  Suddenly I had a gig of disk
I didn't...have...um...awshit.

For someone who purportedly has been doing SA for a decade or so (and
actually keeping track of FFS internals for almost as long), it's a
real humbling experience to have to go find the Microshaft SA to get him
to re-image my disk, and then have to re-install NetBSD because the
image rewrites the DOS partition table :-(.

The up-side of this is that the c: partition used to be FAT32 (unsupported
by NetBSD, currently) and it got made into a FAT16 which I could mount,
so I didn't have to spend major amounts of time shuttling floopies.

/why:

				--*greywolf;
--
There is nothing so phenomenal as the music of the Grateful Dead.  ___
No other music can so instantly bring a smile to one's face as    / / \