Subject: Re: What is a snapshot?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 12:45:50
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> ...how 'bout setting a standard that says each
> port has a current snapshot available as of the first of each month?

While I agree it's good to get snapshots out on a regular basis,
setting standards is not much use unless there's someone to do the
work. :-) I would really encourage anyone who's interested in doing
regular snapshots to get in touch with the portmaster and come to
some sort of arrangement. I'm fairly sure no portmaster is going
to say `no' to putting up a tested, recent snapshot.

As for the timing, it's hard to have these things available on
regular dates, becuase that date might roll around and the system
might be in no shape to be even compiled, much less run. There are
periods of good stability (like now, and at the beginning of the
year) and periods of poor stability (like a few months ago). You
really don't want snapshots going out that you know are quite
unstable.

> What's really bothering me is the infrequent official releases.

That's bothering everyone, and there's some work being done to
rectify that. I would expect we'll hear more about that around the
end of the month, after Jason gets back from IETF.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates