Subject: Re: read only /
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1997 15:40:31
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:23:35 -0700
>
> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:15:16 -0400
>  christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
>
>  > | Perhaps the test in init should not be "if root is msdosfs" but
>  > | something more general-purpose, like "if /dev/console does not exist"
>  > | (for example), or even "if /etc/MAKEDEV exists" or whatever.
>  >
>  > I had it this way before and Jason asked me to add the msdosfs check.
>
> I suppose we could just check against /dev/console, but I'm concerned
> about "what if the file system got trashed?"

The test would be less prone to "false positives" if we trigger on
something that happens only with explicit action of the admin.  That's
what I was getting at when I suggested the "if /etc/MAKEDEV exists"
test in the message quoted above.  (i.e. do the MFS mount on /dev ONLY
if the file /etc/MAKEDEV exists, or maybe /etc/MAKEDEV.init)

Gordon