Subject: Confusion about making 1.2-current sources
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/1997 17:51:15
	Hello.  I realize this has been asked before, but I confess I'm not
sure how to search for exactly what I want in the mailing list archives.
What I want is to be able to build the new world of NetBSD, starting with
the kernel, on an existing 1.2 system without disturbing the system
directory structure on that system. i.e. without moving /usr/include,
/usr/share, and the like out of the way in order to allow the new software
to see the new files.  The other problem I have is if I try to make install
from  /usr/src/share with DESTDIR set to the directory I want the new world
to be built in, it stops because it says none of the destination
directories exist, i.e. $DESTDIR/usr/share/dict.  No duh!!  I've had this
trouble before and have always solved it by simply making the directories by
hand.  However, that is error prone and I'd like to stop doing that.
Surely there must be a way to build the NetBSD directory structure in order
for all of these install  things to work.  Could someone tell me the
probably very simple way of initializing the NetBSD installation tree?
-thanks
-Brian