Subject: Re: Beware of stale executables in /bin and /sbin
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/05/1997 11:03:13
>   Anyway, to help other people see if their system is affected, I
> wrote the following script, which checks for executables with
> the same name in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin, and lists
> them.  It's a quick hack, but it works.  Sample output from one
> of our systems is also included below.  This might be a handy
> thing to add to /etc/daily for current-trackers, or to the end
> of the ``make build'' command (or to a ``make sanitycheck'' target?).

Another thing to look for after 'make build' is files that are *older*
than the build.  For example, I rebuilt on Aug 2, and doing something
like: 'ls -l /*bin /usr/*bin | grep -v "Aug  2"' which will show any "old"
files that either didn't get updated, or don't really belong.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.