Subject: Re: GNU tools and install?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@clydesdale.math.montana.edu>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1997 16:14:46
> Just wondering if anybody else has seen this behavior, or if it's a
> local problem that I've somehow created:
>
> It seems like whenever I install a package made with GNU autoconf, the
> configure script decides to use /usr/bin/install for its install
> program.  This is fine, except that it uses it without the -c flag.
> Consequently, if the install targets in the makefiles are even
> slightly off, and I have to do the install twice, it fails the second
> time, because it will have deleted some important config file or
> another, or even just the binary I was trying to compile.
>
> Has anybody else observed this kind of thing happening?

I think this is because the folks who provide tools that use GNU
autoconf tend to be the types that use the rest of the GNU tools,
including GNU install.  And, if I remember correctly, GNU install
copies the file even if the -c flag is omitted.  Thus it is
common for such packages to use install without -c.

	--jtc