Subject: showmount doesn't show all mounts
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.swb.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1997 20:12:17
Jason R. Thorpe wrote:
> On 23 Jul 1997 10:12:49 -0600
>  Chris Jones <cjones@clydesdale.math.montana.edu> wrote:
>
> > I don't know.  :)  Like I said, my knowledge of NFS is pretty weak.  I
> > was under the impression that there's some procedure that the client
> > and server go through to re-establish a mount after a server
> > crash/reboot.  Wasn't there a security bug related to this some time
> > ago?
>
>When the server reboots, all of the file handles the client has been using
>become "stale".

no, there is no state in this part of the protocol. A handle stays
valid even when the server reboots. The handle contains a unique
identification of the file that allows the server to access the file
at any time. It becomes stale when a file with this identification does
not exist anymore because it was deleted locally.
When another client removes the file it is usually only renamed to keep
other handles valid. Some combinations of server and client failures
may still cause handles to become stale.

Regards,

--
                                Michael van Elst

Internet: mlelstv@serpens.swb.de