Subject: Re: showmount doesn't show all mounts
To: Chris Jones <cjones@clydesdale.math.montana.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/1997 09:45:59
On 23 Jul 1997 10:12:49 -0600
 Chris Jones <cjones@clydesdale.math.montana.edu> wrote:

 > I don't know.  :)  Like I said, my knowledge of NFS is pretty weak.  I
 > was under the impression that there's some procedure that the client
 > and server go through to re-establish a mount after a server
 > crash/reboot.  Wasn't there a security bug related to this some time
 > ago?

When the server reboots, all of the file handles the client has been using
become "stale".  When the client attempts to use a stale handle, the server
returns an error, prompting the client to re-negotiate with the server's
mountd to get a new handle.

At least, I'm pretty sure that is what happens... someone might want to
correct me if I got any of that wrong :-)