Subject: Re: THE most common error in building
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@fls.portland.or.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1997 14:36:25
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Mike Long writes:
> > make includes
> >
> > Your <sys/cdefs.h> is out-of-date.
>
> This is *THE* single biggest problem people have when building
> -current.
>
> BEFORE POSTING ALWAYS:
>
> 1) make includes
> 2) make cleandir in the problem directory and then try rebuilding
>
> 80% of the problems posted to current-users are fixed with this
> proceedure.
>
> If you are on a fast enough machine, doing a "make build" is *far*
> superior to doing an ordinary make.

I usually do a "env UPDATE=1 make build" (which doesn't do a cleandir) and
if I have problems I then do a "make clean; make includes; make depend;
make" in the particular directory which generated an error.

If I STILL have problems I nuke the directory and resup. Then I poke
around with a stupid look on my face and post to the list. Usually I've
forgotten to rebuild yacc or make or config or something.

I don't know how I'd keep track any better; is there any better method
(other than experience)?

Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@fls.portland.or.us - Fuji Landscape Service
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $3.00 = mocha latte