Subject: Re: i386: lots of APM changes.
To: None <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington-heights.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 07/17/1997 23:37:43
>>>>> "cgd" ==   <cgd@pa.dec.com> writes:

cgd> Hi.  I just seriously whacked the i386 apm driver.  I thought i would
cgd> warn all those of you running -current on your i386.  8-)

cgd> ...

cgd> Despite this substantial amount of work, this driver still needs a _lot_ of
cgd> work.  In particular, the user-land device interface needs to be gutted, and
cgd> better support for APM-aware applications and device drivers (i.e. call-backs)
cgd> needs to be added (e.g. callback interfaces somewhat like those suggested
cgd> by the APM spec).

Yeah, it does still need work.  Perry has suggested tossing it and
taking the FreeBSD driver.  I've not had a chance to look at the FreeBSD
driver, but that might be a good first step.

Device drivers (e.g. pccard machinery) definitely need a callback
mechanism so that they can prepare for things like power-down-at-suspend
and power-up-after-resume.

==John