Subject: Re: crontab bug
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/1997 17:40:03
> I tried to use crontab(1) on a netbsd/i386 v1.2.1 system to install a
> crontab for a user other than root.  Doing so, I discovered that it
> was truncating usernames to 4 (= sizeof(User-1) = sizeof(PID_T))
> instead of sizeof(User)-1 characters.  The patch to correct the
> problem follows (a misplaced parenthesis in
> src/usr.sbin/cron/crontab.c).

Thanks.  FWIW, this bug has been fixed in -current (back in April,
actually).  This was a patch introduced in 1.2.1 to fix potential
security problems, and apparently it wasn't tested well enough.

On a slightly different note: the 'right' place to post
questions/comments about NetBSD releases is usually
netbsd-users@netbsd.org.  current-users@netbsd.org is used to discuss
NetBSD-current.  If you hadn't actually mentioned 1.2.1 in your
message, we would have thought you were confused, since this bug is
dead in -current.  8-)

chris