Subject: top-level make targets?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/1997 20:13:21
Here's something I've been wondering about for a while:

Is there a short list describing the make targets that are valid at the
root level of the source tree, and precisely what they do?  The useful
ones I've run across so far are, as I understand them:

'make build'  # build & install everything except /etc, in the right order

'export UPDATE="something"; make build'
              # same as above, but don't 'make clean' first

'make includes'  # install all public include files from various places
                 #  in the tree into /usr/include

(I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got the descriptions wrong... ;)

I know there are other targets that do useful things, as well as
environment variables that one shouldn't have to live without.  I've just
never seen a coherent list.  Is there a relevant man page?  If not, would
someone familiar with the tree's make system care to comment?

Cheers,
-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com