Subject: Re: building vi on recent current
To: None <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/1997 16:46:36
>Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 13:33:44 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Paul M. Newhouse" <newhouse@rockhead.com>
>
>>>I got the tar_files from current a few days ago.
>>>In src/usr.bin/vi I get:
>>>
>>>===> build
>>>cc -O -I/Net/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build -I/Net/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build/../include  -Werror  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build/../common/options.c
>>>/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build/../common/options.c: In function `opts_init':
>>>/usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build/../common/options.c:342: `_PATH_MSGCAT' undeclared (first use this function)
>>
>>>Can anybody tell me where _PATH_MSGCAT is supposed to be set to and
>>>what it is supposed to be set to?
>>
>>It's declared in /usr/src/usr.bin/vi/build/pathnames.h.
>
>It is defined there.  there is also a "pathnames.h" in common.  The one in common
>gets picked?  Not the one in build.  I inserted:

Ah, now I understand.  The common/pathnames.h file needs to Go Away.

>I re-loaded from:
>
>   ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files
>
>(I think that's the path I used?) last night (about 01:30 today actually).
>I still have this problem.

The problem with using the tarballs is that you have to track and
manually delete in your local tree any files that are deleted in the
master sources.  I used to use the daily update messages for this;
whenever I saw a '... is no longer pertinent' line, I deleted that
file from my local tree when I next updated from the tarballs.

An alternative, simpler solution is to just nuke /usr/src completely
before unpacking a new set of tarballs.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel