Subject: Re: need change in fs mount order
To: None <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/1997 11:27:18
>Date: Wed,  9 Jul 1997 12:59:32 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
>
>Once again this topic:
>I've running the more radical approach - (re)mounting
>"/" only at the beginning of /etc/rc instead of "-nonfs" -
>in 2 different diskless setups for a while.
>The advantage is that the order of /etc/fstab is used as
>mount order (what one assumes normally), and various
>things work now, eg:
>-union mounts involving NFS
>-MFS /var/tmp on top of NFS /var
>-umapfs and nullfs with NFS, as people pointed out
>
>Can anybody imagine a setup which breaks if this becomes
>standard in the distribution?

It will break anyone who has /usr on a different filesystem from /
and assumes /usr is present when rc.lkm is run.  However, these people
would be hosed if /usr were NFS-mounted in any case; I don't see that
as a reason not to make the change.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel