Subject: Re: _dumpspec not defined
To: None <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/1997 03:15:27
>Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 23:46:27 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Paul M. Newhouse" <newhouse@rockhead.com>
>
>I'm building a current that's a few days old:
>
>1) how do I get rid of all the -W<stuff> that won't let me finish a "make build"
>   from /usr/src, because so many directories have petty warnings that kill the
>   build.  I edited all the makefiles and /usr/share/mk/* but, they keep appearing.

You can get rid of some of them by hacking Makefiles, as you've done.
Any that are left over are fallout that should be fixed within a day
or so.  If they aren't, ask again or send a PR.  Remember that PRs or
messages are more likely to get a response if you include a typescript
of how compilation fails.

>2) What did I do wrong here?:
>
>   ld -z -Ttext F8100000 -e start -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
>   kern_subr.o: Undefined symbol `_dumpspec' referenced from text segment
>   kern_subr.o: Undefined symbol `_dumpspec' referenced from text segment

>   ./usr.sbin/config/mkswap.c:     if (fprintf(fp, "const char *dumpspec = %s;\n", specinfo) < 0)

>Where is _dumpsec supposed to be defined?

It's defined in swapnetbsd.c, which is generated by config(8).  You
need to rebuild and install config, and then reconfigure your kernel.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel