Subject: nfs_boot
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/1997 09:59:17
I tried to remove the swap= line from /etc/bootparams and netboot my
sun 3/50. It hung in the kernel nfs_boot with RPC timeout messages.

I look over the code (nfs_boot.c) show that it has code to ignore
errors in getting the swap file name, but that code is ineffective
because it loops forever on RPC timeouts.

With the new swap code I think the swap parameter retrieved by
nfs_boot is not used anymore. Is that right? I simply took out the
code to get the swap file and everything works, although since this is
an X terminal, I don't want swap anyway.

Options seem to be:

 o remove the code always as I have done

 o compile it conditionally on some kernel config option

 o limit the number of timeouts

Ian