Subject: Re: pwdb busy
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: SAVE MY WALRUS <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1997 01:08:24
Consider me the volunteer unless nobody has volunteered to do so.

"Perry E. Metzger" sez:

/*
 *
 * This proposal is more or less exactly what I would suggest.
 *
 * Now if someone will only write it. :)
 *
 * Perry
 *

[I had said]:

 * >
 * > The ONLY program that should ever create ptmp as an active lock AND HOLD
 * > IT FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME should be vipw.  Other programs which need
 * > ptmp should batch the input (i.e. wait until the user's done) and only
 * > create ptmp when the data is ready, i.e.
 * >
 * > 	1.	user edits data
 * > 	2.	user quits
 * > 	3.	chsh/chfn/passwd filters data from vi tmp file (NOT ptmp!)
 * > 		and mixes existing passwd data with requested change data.
 * > 		_THIS_ is what comprises ptmp for a very short period of time.
 * > 	4.	ptmp moves to master.passwd
 * > 	5.	old compat passwd file is derived from master.passwd
 * > 	6.	pwd_mkdb is run
 * >
 * > ...or am I missing something?
 */