Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 22:54:32
> I think /sys/dev/tc is the least-bad place in the tree for it at the
> moment: it's the closest to a sys/dev/dec that we have.

It sounds like /sys/dev/dec is a better place, certainly.  Why should
a qbus-based machine ever use code in /sys/dev/tc to implement qbus
clock functionality?  That's simply nonsensical.

If other ports can use the code, that is, of course, best..  I simply
wasn't aware of any need to use the code to deal with multiple clocks
on the pmax, which is why I inquired.  (The reason that my inquire
cc'd current-users is because that's the correct forum for discussion
of NetBSD-current source.)

Even if there is such a need for the pmax, as noted, /sys/dev/tc isn't
a good place to put the code (though it probably _is_ the "least
bad").

> I'm also hoping to properly emulaet the Digital RTC-as-TOY with the
> RTC in either 1972 or 1973; you're welcome to share that, if the
> change is worth it for any users who dual-boot Digital Unix and
> NetbSD/alpha.

That'd be great, quite fine by me.

chris