Subject: Re: Problems with TCP-based NFS mounts hanging
To: Greg Wohletz <greg@duke.CS.UNLV.EDU>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 22:52:28
Quoting Greg Wohletz,

> Yep, I've seen this.  Also I have found one major disadvantage to tcp
> mounts is that they don't deal with nfs server reboots, if the nfs
> server goes down and comes back up a new tcp stream is not established and
> the client basically has to be rebooted in order to continue using the
> nfs filesystem.

> I've also seen random hangs over tcp mounts even when the fileserver didn't
> reboot.

When I originally tested the NFSv3 code against Solaris servers, I saw
this once, but could not reproduce it, and neither could others. But
apparently there still is a problem. If you could me provide with as much
information as possible about your environment (client, NetBSD version,
server, OS version, mount arguments, possible kernel messages, when
does it happen, has the client been idle for a while, etc), I will try my
best to fix it.

- Frank