Subject: Re: termcap's xterm
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@nyc.deshaw.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 03:32:13
> >The recent change in termcap that equates `xterm' to `xterm-xf86-v33'
> >does not work very well for me (NetBSD/sparc/X11R6.1). more and less
> >at least have trouble with stand-out and underline mode, and don't
> >reset the terminal properly upon exit.
> >
> >I don't feel like figuring out right now what entries in `xterm-xf86-v33'
> >might induce this behaviour, but.. isn't there common set of capabilities
> >that all xterms can (or should) support and leaving it up to those
> >actually running XF86 v3.3 to take advantage of "their" termcap entry
> >if desired?
>
> The old entry did not work properly with underline and standout
> [underline appeared just as standout]. It also was not resetting all
> the modes and did not use the alternate screen. I really don't want
> to find the least common denominator that works, because then the
> entry will not work correctly for any xterm.

The old entry (now `xterm-r6') worked fine with underline, stand-out and
alternate screen.

> Upgrade or use the xterm-old entry :-) The new xterm is a lot better.

So, I installed X11R6.3 ... same results.

I dug a little further: the culprits are the End Underline (`ue=\E[24m') and
End Standout (`se=\E[27m'). I don't know where these come from, but they
are certainly not defined in the `Xterm Control Sequences' document.

Having to use an alternative termcap entry (like `xterm-old' or `xterm-r6')
is a real pain when logging in to other systems that don't have them.

-pk