Subject: ramdisk kernel?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1997 13:03:38
I hope this doesn't belong on port-i386, but it seems appropriate for
here:

I've been playing with trying to make a (i386) ramdisk kernel, with no
useful results yet.  Here's what I've been doing:

1) Make a kernel config file with "options MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS" and
"pseudo-device md 1".  Set "options MINIROOTSIZE=xxx", where xxx is
the size of my disk image in 512-byte sectors.

2) Build the kernel, and build the disk image using vnd.

3) "mdsetimage netbsd diskimage"

4) Boot the kernel.

However every time I try to boot a kernel with "options
MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS" in it, the machine reboots as soon as it tries to
exec the kernel; I get the size information printed by the boot
program, and then the machine resets.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Chris Jones                                    cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu