Subject: Re: netatalk needs kerberos?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1997 11:19:54
>>>>> "ndb" == noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl> writes:

ndb> the NetBSD/AppleShare server does show up in the chooser.
ndb> Authentication Manager UAM is placed in the AppleShare Folder.

ndb> but i can't login, is that cause i haven't installed kerberos??
ndb> should i get bones.tar.Z and make? or do we have our own package?

I just got this working recently, both with and without kerberos.  If
you don't have kerberos compiled into afpd, then when you try to
connect to the fileserver, the password field will have "(cleartext)"
next to it.  It means what it says; anybody with a packet sniffer and
a brain can read your password.

If afpd is compiled with kerberos, and the Mac has Authentication
Manager UAM in the right place (this took some doing for me), then the
behavior is different:  As soon as you try to connect to the
fileserver, the Mac brings up a selection box with something like
"AppleShare Authentication" and "Kerberos IV" in it.  You select
kerberos, and it does the right thing.

So, in answer to the question in your subject line, netatalk doesn't
need kerberos unless you specifically want kerberos support.  :)

If the server isn't even showing up in the chooser, though, you have a
different problem.  Do you have zones?  If so, is afpd running in the
right one?  Can you run getzones on the unix size?

Chris

Chris Jones                                    cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...