Subject: Re: panic message ?
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.ibp.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1997 12:56:56
On Jun 22, Frank van der Linden wrote
> What might be your problem is a race condition that is present in
> several FSs. It was pointed out to me for NFS by Naofumi Honda
> a while ago, but is also present in FFS. I've sent this patch
> to a few other people, and it seems to fix their problems. I
> was hoping to fix all FSs that have this problem this way soon
> (before 1.3). The eventual solution will look a little different,
> but the principle is the same.

That could be the race condition I was trying to track down in the ext2fs code
for some time (it is also derived from FFS). Quite hard to find, as this panic
is really unfrequent on my boxes. I'll have a look deeper about that.
If you commit this, could you call the functions ufs_* rather than ffs_*, and
place them in a file where ext2fs could also use them ?

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.                 bouyer@masi.ibp.fr