Subject: Re: kernel link errors on sup Jun 12 05:06:48 1997
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/1997 11:54:50
On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Greg Wohletz writes:
> > sigh, silly me for thinking config from May 25th would be good enough...
>
> In general, if you are syncing to current from a few months back, you
> really need to rebuild sh, make, config and the compiler, "just in
> case".

Is there some way we can automate this? Like cache our own version #'s for
the major parts of the build (config, gcc, binutils, sh, other come to
mind), and have make compare the last config'd version woth the current
source version, emmiting a complaint if they're off. As a simple
implimentation, config could just copy the current values to the kernel
compile dir.

I'm not sure what to do for building world, but we probably could help it
too.

For the numbers, we'd probably want md & mi values. All they have to be is
a number, like a kernel version number (no X.Y.Z needed).

Take care,

Bill