Subject: Re: xosview with NetBSD 1.2G
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1997 23:54:16
Matthias Scheler wrote:

> since I updated from 1.2F to 1.2G "xosview" (a nice X11 system monitor)
> stopped working. It's probably the same problem that broke "top". Has
> anybody patched it for use with 1.2G already?

  I know I haven't.  :)  If anyone else has written a patch,
please send it to me, and I'll check it in to the xosview
source tree and make a new beta copy available.

  I'm a bit busy until Monday with school stuff.  I'll try to
rewrite the kernel swap munger sometime soon (but probably not
before Monday), and put a beta copy up at
http://lore.ece.utexas.edu/~bgrayson/xosview.html (or somewhere
accessible from that page).  Anyone interested in further
information can either mail me, or can add their E-mail address
to my ``let me know when xosview changes'' soon-to-be-mailing-list
via http://lore.ece.utexas.edu/~bgrayson/compatibilityform.html
(just choose bogus values for the fields besides the E-mail
address and mailing-list checkbox, and add a comment if you wish).

  Would it be worth creating some sort of sysctl() for swap
statistics, as there already is for VM things?  That would
simplify top, pstat, and xosview, and probably a few other kernel
mungers, and also be more efficient by allowing the kernel to
do the munging rather than a user-level program performing a
series of kvm_ calls, right?

  Private replies only:  Is there any easy way to identify
from kvm_ stuff whether the kernel uses the old or new swap
method?  I haven't looked at the new code yet (shame on me!),
but xosview is going to need to be able to figure it out on the
fly, as it figures out whether or not disk statistics are kept
by the kernel by looking for the _disklist symbol.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering