Subject: Re: Retrocomputing?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1997 13:54:58
This is irrelevant to current-users unless someone who's _really_ into
retrocomputing does SMP on a multi-cpu vax, once NetBSD has SMP, but:

>No, VAX 11/780 was/is 1 MIPS. :-)  My first VAX account was on a 11/785
>which had two CPU's.  (Yes, it was still slow :-)

A 785 is a reimplemented 780 with a bigger cache, a deeper writebuffer
(see Hennessey and Patterson), and (IIRC) some Schottky TTL parts.
A 785 is about 1.5x a 780 (the speedup is nonuniform).

But, at least according to DEC's licensing policies in the mid-80s, a
multi-CPU system built around multiport memory is an _11/782_,
regardless of whether the pieces were 780s or 785s. (Tho' CMU called
their Mach test box with four CPUs around an MS780 an 11/784.)

Or did you use the George Goble trick of adding a second CPU boardset
into a single 78x chassis, in the SBI nexus reserved for a second CPU?
(Did anyone ever use an SBI cab as a LOX-started barbecue grill?!?)

Yes, it's definitely time to take this to alt.folklore.computers.