Subject: Re: Retrocomputing?
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1997 09:22:25
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Markus Illenseer wrote:

> > Maybe someone could tell this youngster what a VAX station 3200 is / does?
>
>  Used to be a "big" machine from Digital running either VMS or CMS
> as operating system. The big advantage of the VAX machines is the
> performant I/O bus.

No, the VAXstation 3200 was a desktop `workstation' with the same general
packaging as the DECstation 3100 but much much sloooooooower.

>  I am not sure, but I believe the VAX 3200 is the base of what we know
> of beeing "one MIPS" (whatever you define it).

The 1 MIPs machine was the VAX 11/780.  We had one of those lying around.
About the size of a refrigerator, it was certainly not a desktop.  It
seemed significantly faster than the 3200s, but then 3200s made 25mhz
68030s look blazingly fast.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier