Subject: Re: Retrocomputing?
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@server.peacock.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1997 15:26:57
> Maybe someone could tell this youngster what a VAX station 3200 is / does?

 Used to be a "big" machine from Digital running either VMS or CMS
as operating system. The big advantage of the VAX machines is the
performant I/O bus.

 VAX can run NetBSD. With barely the amount of a standard PC (16MB, which
was at the time beeing the maximum RAM) it can drive a ftp-server
able to serve a dozen of connects at once. Compared to later machines
from DEC, this is outstanding. OSF-1 consumes 1MB RAM per FTP-connect.

 I am not sure, but I believe the VAX 3200 is the base of what we know
of beeing "one MIPS" (whatever you define it).

 If you believe Peter Sjostroem and other VAX-freaks, VAXen don't die.
They just move north - like Elephants.

 BTW - you might want to ask what a PDP-11 is, as well :-) Honestly,
the answer is more ice-aged than for a VAX 3200, but as interesting.

--
Markus Illenseer