Subject: Re: copyright questions
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/1997 12:38:13
I need some more information about the implications of Chris G. Demetrou's
(in the following mostly abbreviated as "cgd") new license conditions on the
end user of NetBSD. (Yes, I am end user, or act on behalf of end users, of
NetBSD systems other then being an "internal" NetBSD developer).

Thomas Graichen (graichen@rzpd.de) wrote (but I only use his message as
a reference for the cgd license terms):

: looks fine so far ... now let's have a look at the copyright of
: another file in the source tree - src/sys/arch/alpha/alpha/locore.s
: (it's not the only file with this style of copyright):
:
: /*
:  * Copyright Notice:
:  *
:  * Copyright (c) 1997 Christopher G. Demetriou.  All rights reserved.
:  *
:  * License:
:  *
:  * This License applies to this software ("Software"), created
:  * by Christopher G. Demetriou ("Author").
:  *
:  * You may use, copy, modify and redistribute this Software without
:  * charge, in either source code form, binary form, or both, on the
:  * following conditions:
:  *
:  * 1.  (a) Binary code: (i) a complete copy of the above copyright notice
:  * must be included within each copy of the Software in binary code form,

Does our building process enforce the inclusion of this notice in
binaries created from the Software (as defined below)?

My impression is that this is a requirement for end users. Note
the use of "use" (e.g., run) and "copy" (e.g., make a backup), not to
mention "redistribute" (build a kernel for a friend who fried his last
working kernel and can't boot now).

:  * and (ii) a complete copy of the above copyright notice and all terms
:  * of this License as presented here must be included within each copy of
:  * all documentation accompanying or associated with binary code, in any
:  * medium, along with a list of the software modules to which the license
:  * applies.

As long as this license only applies to code which is used by the NetBSD
_kernel_ this is easy. As soon as userland binaries are affected,
some script based on make depend and grep-the-source-code-for-the-license
should be used to create said list? Does such a thing exist?

:  *
:  * (b) Source Code: A complete copy of the above copyright notice and all
:  * terms of this License as presented here must be included within: (i)
:  * each copy of the Software in source code form,

Automatically given by putting this license & copyright into the
headers... this is ok with me.

:  * 						    and (ii) each copy of
:  * all accompanying or associated documentation, in any medium.

Note that I'm aware that there have been special conditions that cgd has
granted the NetBSD foundation. I am not aware of what these conditions
are, and where the average end user of NetBSD can find them. Which might
be my fault, by not reading, or missing due to technical problems, some
of my mail. In which case, just point me to them.

Regards
	Ignatios Souvatzis