Subject: Retrocomputing?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1997 19:47:18
Part of the appeal of NetBSD is that it runs on a great number of older
workstation equipment that large companies are getting rid of, but which
still has enough power to be a "nice box".  e.g. Sparc 2, HP 425, Sun 3/280,
etc.

I've heard the practice of running such machines termed "retrocomputing",
but an Altavista search turns up a slightly different definition: on the web,
the term applies more to software and really ancient beasts such as the PDP-11.

Is there a more accurate term for the practice of running 5-year old
workstations?

Second, is there a good resource for this type of activity in general?
e.g.:

- where to buy such workstations
- where to get documentation because YOU need the field engineer's manual,
  but don't have one :-)

I know there's a Sun FAQ and an HP FAQ kicking around, but it would be
nice to have this all in one place, plus info on the Convergent CT/IX
(yes, they're still useful), etc.