Subject: Re: single-interface IPNat box?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1997 13:26:23
rkboni@concentric.net (Rafal Boni) writes:
> Well, in this case, the "router to the outside net" is an Ascend ISDN router,
> so it is needed to connect to the outside (I don't have a way to make the NAT
> box -- a NetBSD machine -- speak ISDN).  I was hoping that rather
> than setting

You can certainly eliminate the extra hub (and one cable) by just
using a cross-over ethernet cable between your router and the netbsd
box.  This is what I do to connect my netbsd box to my cable-modem.
(This is the 'outside" ethernet.  The "inside" ethernet goes to a
traditional hub, which in turn connects to the rest of the crap.  Yes,
it does require two NICs.)

You might also want to check if newer software is available for your
Ascend router (eg. on ftp.ascend.com).  Many of the routers now can do
NAT directly.  This *should* in theory let you put the Ascend on the
local ether directly and eliminate that other NIC.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>         http://www.wsrcc.com/
Fun anti-spam tactic:  http://www.hotwired.com/packet/97/23/index3a.html