Subject: Re: README: changes to config, to support dump device configuration
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1997 13:15:22
> What's the advantage? BOOTP already supports a filename
> field. Do you see a use for the other DHCP extensions?

DHCP does automatic address allocation, which may be either an
advantage or not, depending on how you look at it.   Since it can also
do static allocation if you prefer that, I think it's a win all
around.   Of course, I'm somewhat biased... :')

> The BOOTP protocol is used here, isn't it?
> It's good that one server can handle both protocols,
> but if you really use the DHCP protocol for the requests,
> you _need_ a DHCP server. With BOOTP you have the
> choice.

Dunno.   My DHCP client will boot off a BOOTP server if that's all
that responds.

> (And: DHCP smells like PC :-)

Them's fightin' words, Herr Drochner!   :')

			       _MelloN_