Subject: Re: copyright issue
To: David W. Rankin <rankin@heathers.stdio.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1997 16:06:07
> My beef with this is that the LETTER of this license states that if I
> use NetBSD binaries or source for practically any computer function,
> I am thereafter required to mention cgd in any public, private, or
> business context in which I mention the word "NetBSD".

[IANAL.  This is just one person's interpretation of cgd's license.]

Not quite that bad.  This applies only when you are referring to a
NetBSD version that includes new-cgd-license code - or some other
"software, product, or system" that includes such.  You will never have
to do so when referring to NetBSD 1.2, for example.

> It doesn't matter what Chris, Jason, der Mouse, or myself say in
> Email, the license is what has to be read, because that is what the
> courts will read.

Depending on what a court decides, email signed with Chris's PGP key
stating otherwise might be held to constitute a waiver.  I'm not about
to risk it (even if I had Chris's PGP key handy) - I'm going to torch
all files containing that copyright before even attempting further
builds.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca