Subject: Re: Crash safe filesystems (was: ext2fs is in the tree)
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1997 19:56:09
> maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> writes:
>
> > DEC UNIX's advfs also claims to never need an fsck, so they don't
> > ship one.
>
> But DEC obviously doesn't trust it enough to actually throw away UFS,
> like SGI has done (with EFS).

SGI should not be so confident about it , I have 7 major XFS rollup patches
on my newest IRIX release, still no fsck, even xfsdump crashed the system
when filesystem got corrupted (no HW problem) since it uses kernel fs code,
not raw device

IMHO every native FS should have its fsck_*

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,