Subject: Re: copyright issue
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1997 14:20:30
On Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:02:22 -0600
 "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com> wrote:

 > More to my point, is the NetBSD Foundation going to comply with the letter
 > of the license as it stands now?  I said and implied nothing more than that
 > core decided to allow into the tree a license that will not apply to the
 > NetBSD Foundation.

And, to repeat myself: The NetBSD Foundation was completely prepared to
follow THE LETTER OF THE LICENSE.  The author chose to offer to reduce the
amount of documentation we have to write.  Would you turn that down?
I doubt it.

 > Basically, if the terms are reasonable enough to be included in the tree,
 > why can't the NetBSD Foundation, which should be interested in providing
 > "credit to its contributors *in the fashion they desire*" also comply with
 > the license.

How many times do I have to repeat myself, anyhow?  In any case, apparently
the author was happy with the previous good faith effort of the NetBSD
Project to give proper credit, and desires to be more lenient with the
NetBSD Project.  If you want to know the author's motivations, you'll have
to ask the author...

 > Remeber that "where credit is due" and "credit in the fashion the
 > contributor desires" are two very different things.  The first can be
 > skewed by personal interpretation.  The second cannot.

I this particular case, I fail to see a difference between the two.