Subject: README: changes to config, to support dump device configuration
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 06/13/1997 21:27:06
Hi folks...

I've just committed some changes to the kernel and the config(8) program
to fix dump device configuration in the wake of the new swap system.
You MUST rebuild config(8) before building a kernel after the next time
you sup your -current sources.

As far as internals go, the dump device is now specificfied more like
the root device is...

As far as _using_ it is concerned, here are a few examples:

config netbsd root on ? type ? dumps on ?
        - wildcarded root, fstype, and dump device

config netbsd root on ? type ffs dumps on sd0b
        - wildcarded root, ffs root fs, always dump on sd0b

config netbsd root on de0 type nfs dumps on wd0b
        - mount an nfs root using de0, and write kernel crash dumps
          to wd0b

config netbsd root on ? type ? dumps on none
        - wildcarded root and fstype, force dumps to not be performed

If you encounter any problems with the code, please send-pr(1) a bug
report with as many details as you can ASAP!  I will attend to it
promptly.  If you have any questions about it, please drop me a note,
and I'll do my best to answer whatever you throw at me.

And on that note, I've been in my office long enough today.. time to
commit myself and a friend to The Infirmary (pub down the road :-)

Ciao.